For those of you who haven’t read the Birmingham Living magazine this month, here’s our Christmas canapé recipe which was featured in the ‘Let’s Party’ section. Enjoy!
Santa Claus Hats canapés (makes 24 canapés)
For the biscuits:
- 100g unsalted butter
- 125g plain flour
- 50g icing sugar
- 12g egg yolk
For the topping:
- 24 small strawberries (all roughly the same size)
- ¼ pint of double cream
- Pre-heat your oven to 160˚C.
- Mix the butter, flour and icing sugar together by hand until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the egg yolk and add to the mixture, combining everything to form a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface until it’s roughly 5mm thick.
- Use a 3cm round cutter to cut out the biscuits (the mixture should make roughly 24).
- Place the biscuits on a greaseproof tray and bake in the oven for between 10 and 12 minutes.
- Take the biscuits out and place onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, whip the double cream until it forms soft peaks (be careful not to over-whip it).
- Hull the strawberries but leave the fruits whole.
- Once the biscuits are cool, put a small amount of cream in the centre and place a strawberry on top.
- Using a piping bag, pipe small amounts of cream around the strawberry and a little on top – it should now look like a Santa hat!
- Repeat with all the other biscuits and serve.
Don’t forget to share your Santa Claus Hats canapé photos with us on Twitter @JustGoodFood so we can RT your creations!